Pages

Saturday 12 November 2011

Sticks and Stones

Day 2... and I want to start by explaining how I have got to where I am today.

Born in Frimley, my parents decided not to stick around for long, so most of my first memories are from a foreign country made rich by oil, otherwise known as Saudi Arabia. Contrary to belief, living there for 7 years doesn't make me a Muslim and I can assure you I am 100% British. However it did open my mind to multi-culturalism, I learnt that Saudi isn't just a desert and I had the unfortunate discovery of returning back to England to find that the life I led in Saudi was not normal and I had in fact basically been on holiday at Centre Parcs for all those years.

Growing up I was well and truly a Tom-Boy. Dolls, babies and barbies were a big no-no but cops and robbers, climbing frames, karate and roller blades were everything I lived for. Therefore moving back to Worcester and being shoved into an all girls school was possibly the worst thing that could have happened to me. And sure enough I hated almost every minute of it. However, knowing my parents thought they were doing the best for me in terms of giving me a great education I'm inclined to forgive them for putting me through 8 years of torture. Though in fairness it wasn't all tears and tantrums as it was during my school life that I discovered Lacrosse and Textiles... and with these two passions still having a major part to play in my life today I can't help thinking the bitchiness and bullying I encountered at school has some how all been worth while...

Here I am young and blissfully unaware with my brother, Chris, who is 18 months older than me.
At the age of 3 it was clear that I was going to be an artistic genius....naaaaat!! We had to pick a letter from our name and paint a picture with it. Maybe when I was 3 I dreamed that I had green eyes and blue hands...
This is the first item of clothing I ever made when I was in Year 9 and it is from this that my love for textiles began. It also helped that I had an amazing Textiles teacher called Mrs Fox who inspired and encouraged me.
And finally... lacrosse the sport I love! Here I was about 15 at an England Triple Arrow Lacrosse Camp with a friend Kirsty where we played lacrosse for 8 hours a day for about 5 days... most people's idea of hell... but I loved it! 
BIG LOVE
cycles and spoons

No comments:

Post a Comment